background

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Home for Christmas

Christmas is one of my favorite holidays.  I love the decorations, the food,  being with friends and family, and most importantly we get to celebrate the birth of Jesus!  As I have gotten older, I realize just how special it is to be home for Christmas.  Since marrying my best friend two and a half years ago, we now both have two families and two places to go home to!  We were very blessed this year to be able to see both Daniel's family and mine. 

The weekend of the 16th and 17th we flew to Corpus Christi to celebrate with Daniel's family!  Matt, Daniel's brother got to come in from Austin and we all had a great time playing frisbee golf, looking at lights, playing cards, going out for some good Mexican food and just being together!  Mrs. Tammie, Daniel's mom cooked a wonderful Christmas meal and lots of yummy desserts!  She makes a wonderful raspberry cheesecake and checkerboard cake!  We definitely ate way too much in Corpus!
 

My sweet brother in law and hubby always seem to get me to try things I have never done before and this trip was no different!  While Daniel was doing some work, Matt got out his childhood dart gun and showed me how to shoot darts :)  I have to admit it was pretty fun!  Very different from the barbies I played with while growing up!


(Yes, it was warm enough for shorts in December)

After our trip to Corpus, we flew back to Nashville for Daniel to work a couple more days and then we drove to Hallsville (my hometown) on the 21st.  In case the name didn't give it away, I grew up in a very small town!  I loved growing up in Hallsville and am very proud of where I came from.  I wouldn't change a thing about my little town (well nothing except the raggedy gold and red wreaths with bells that they hang on the telephone and light poles downtown during Christmas with half of the light bulbs burnt out).  I love the effort but I think we need to spring for some new ones Hallsville!  (I will try to get a picture to show you in a later post.) 

On Friday night we went to Marshall where they were having the 25th Annual Wonderland of Lights.

 The world's largest rocking horse!
 The beautiful courthouse all lit up!  They had a light show synchronized to music every 30 minutes.
 Newly rennovated Hotel Marshall

On Christmas Eve, we always go to my grandparent's house with all of my dad's side of the family.  Usually we draw names and buy for one person, but this year we decided to do an ornament exchange and donate money to World Vision instead of doing gifts.  Our Christmas Eve tradition always includes pizza, yummy treats, and a prayer time where we gather in a circle and each one is given an opportunity to give thanks and lift up others in prayer.
 My sweet Grannie and Gran-Gran
 The Jones'
 The Morrison's
 Jones'/ Chambers'
Love my Grannie!

Sunday morning after church!
 Our third Christmas, time is flying!
 My Nannie, as sweet as sugar!
  My wonderful parents

After church on Christmas Day, mom and dad had everyone over for Christmas lunch!  We had over 30 people this year, one of the biggest groups in a long time!  It was so fun having everyone together!  And of course we had some great food!


 Cousins :)

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas!  I would love to hear about some of your Christmas family traditions!  Leave a comment with your favorite!


Ashley :)

1 comment: